Translation Disclaimer

Google Translate is made available on the Fund's website solely for your convenience.
The official text is the English language version of the Fund's website. If you have any questions related to the accuracy of the information contained in your translation, please refer to the English version of the website.

English (United States)
What Are You Looking For?

Building Service 32BJ Pension Fund - Program C - The Basics

Am I covered by Program C?


It depends on your contract. Many 32BJ members in New Jersey commercial work are covered by Program C.

Does that mean I am entitled to a pension when I retire?


Once you are vested, you are entitled to a pension at age 65 even if you leave your union job before then. You are vested if you have 5 years of Vesting Service starting with your date of hire. If you are not sure, call Member Services or sign up for the Member Portal to find out whether you are vested.

Do I have to wait until 65 to start my pension?


You can retire with an Early Retirement Pension as early as age 55 if you have ten years (120 months) of Service Credit. Your pension will be reduced if you retire before age 65.

How much will my pension be?


The amount of your pension benefit is based on your Service Credits and how much your employer is required to contribute under your contract. Your Service Credits are earned each Plan Year based on the number of hours you work. If you work 1,430 hours or more in a Plan Year, you earn the full 12 months of Service Credits. If you work less, you may earn 9 or 6 months. Your Service Credits are capped at 300 (25 years). Check your Summary Plan Description (SPD) for more detail on how your benefit is calculated. Keep in mind that the accrual rate (the amount of benefit for each month of Service Credit) increases once you reach 240 Months (20 years) of Service Credit. Service Credit begins to be earned once you become a Participant, generally after a year of employment.

Is there a benefit for my spouse?


Yes. If you are married, you must opt for a Joint and Survivor Pension unless your spouse waives their right to a benefit. With a Joint and Survivor Pension, you receive a pension for your lifetime and if you die before your spouse, your spouse receives a reduced benefit for their lifetime.

How do I get more information about my pension benefit?

  • Your SPD describes your benefits in detail. If you no longer have your copy, contact Member Services for a new one.
  • You can find a lot of information online at, including a copy of your SPD.
  • You can sign up for an account in the Member Portal for personalized information about your benefits.
  • You can get information about the pension benefit you have earned to-date on the Member Portal or by calling Member Services and asking for an estimate.
  • If you are approaching retirement age or thinking about retiring, call Member Services and request an appointment with a Retirement Counselor. Member Services: 1-800-551-3225