Translation Disclaimer

Google Translate is made available on the Fund's website solely for your convenience.
The official text is the English language version of the Fund's website. If you have any questions related to the accuracy of the information contained in your translation, please refer to the English version of the website.

English (United States)
What Are You Looking For?

Building Service 32BJ Pension Fund - Program A - The Basics

Am I covered by Program A?


It depends on your contract. Most 32BJ members in New York City residential and commercial work (except in the Bronx) are covered by Program A.

Does that mean I am entitled to a pension when I retire?


Once you are vested, you are entitled to a pension at age 65 even if you leave your union job before then. You are vested if you have 5 years of Vesting Service starting with your date of hire. If you are not sure, call Member Services or sign up for the Member Portal to find out whether you are vested.

Do I have to wait until 65 to start my pension?


You can retire with an Early Retirement Pension as early as age 55 if you have ten years (120 months) of Service Credit. Your pension will be reduced if you retire before age 65.

You can retire as early as age 62 and receive an unreduced pension if you have earned at least 300 months of Service Credit.

How much will my pension be?


Your pension depends on how long you work. Check your SPD for more detail on how your benefit is calculated. Keep in mind that the accrual (the amount of benefit for each year of service) increases once you reach 20 years of Service Credit and again at 25 years. In addition, service earned from July 1, 2008 on has a higher accrual. 25 years of Service Credit is the maximum you can earn. The maximum pension for 25 years after 2008 is $1400 a month. Service Credit begins to be earned once you become a Participant, generally after a year of employment.

Is there a benefit for my spouse?


Yes. If you are married, you must opt for a Joint and Survivor Pension unless your spouse waives their right to a benefit. With a Joint and Survivor Pension, you receive a pension for your lifetime and if you die before your spouse, your spouse receives a reduced benefit for their lifetime.

How do I get more information about my pension benefit?


Your Summary Plan Description (SPD) describes your benefits in detail. If you no longer have your copy, contact Member Services for a new one.

You can find a lot of information online at, including a copy of your SPD.

You can sign up for an account in the Member Portal for personalized information about your benefits.

You can get information about the pension benefit you have earned to-date on the Member Portal or by calling Member Services and asking for an estimate.

If you are approaching retirement age or thinking about retiring, call Member Services and request an appointment with a Retirement Counselor. Member Services: 1-800-551-3225